If those two pink lines were a complete surprise to you, your knee-jerk reaction might be to panic. But armed with information, you can feel empowered to make a confident choice free from fear.
To do that, here are three things needed before an abortion:
- Take another pregnancy test
- Get an ultrasound
- Test for sexually transmitted diseases (STD)
Take Another Pregnancy Test
Did you know taking a pregnancy test at the wrong time can lead to a false result? It’s also possible to receive a positive test but to miscarry naturally, negating the need for an abortion.
Before you decide abortion is your next step, take another pregnancy test to confirm your initial result. We provide free pregnancy testing at our center, so contact us if you need another one.
Get An Ultrasound
You may think ultrasounds are only for women who continue their pregnancies.
We’ve all seen ultrasound images stuck on refrigerators or pictured in baby announcements.
But did you know ultrasounds are crucial in determining whether you’re actually eligible for an abortion? Ultrasound plays a role in three key ways:
- Ultrasound confirms the pregnancy’s viability: As mentioned above, sometimes, a natural miscarriage occurs after a positive pregnancy test. In fact, between 10-20% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. An ultrasound will let you know whether the pregnancy is growing or if you might need treatment for a miscarriage.
- Ultrasound helps date the pregnancy: Knowing how far along you are in the pregnancy will determine which options are available to you. Did you know the abortion pill is only FDA-approved for pregnancies less than ten weeks along? In this case, a ballpark estimate is not sufficient. You must know exactly how far along you are, and an ultrasound will give you the most accurate information.
- Ultrasound locates the pregnancy: Sometimes pregnancies implant somewhere outside the uterus, making them nonviable. These are called ectopic pregnancies and can be life-threatening to the mother. Often immediate medical care is needed. An ultrasound helps protect your health by revealing whether or not the pregnancy is in the uterus.
Test for STDs
Many sexually transmitted diseases have no symptoms, so having one and not knowing it is possible. It can be dangerous to have an abortion if you have an STD, so it’s essential to test for them beforehand.
We Can Help
We provide pregnancy testing and ultrasounds, and can provide information and resources for STD testing, all at no cost to you. If you are pregnant and considering abortion, you owe it to yourself to put your health first and make an informed choice. We can help.
Schedule an appointment with us today!